The Central Wasatch Commission Stakeholders Council serves as a citizens advisory council for the Central Wasatch Commission staff and Board. The Stakeholders Council is comprised of community members, representing many of the diverse interests in the Central Wasatch Mountains, including community organizations, environmental groups, ski resorts, residents and property owners, and the general public. The Stakeholders Council may gather information, conduct fact-finding, provide analysis, conduct feasibility studies, and otherwise collaborate with broader constituencies with interests in the Project Area in order to make suggestions, recommendations and proposals to the CWC Board and the Commission’s staff and consultants. All Council members will serve four-year terms. starting in January 2019, and ending on June 30, 2023; however, half of the Council members have been assigned a two-year term. Dr. Kelly Bricker and Jan Striefel were selected as Council Chair and Vice Chair, respectively. There are not term limits for Council members. Interested in submitting an application to join the CWC Stakeholders Council? Complete an application here.
Stakeholders Council Members
- Annalee Munsey – Assistant GM, Metropolitan Water District of Salt Lake and Sandy
- Barbara Cameron – Vice-Chair of Stakeholders Council, Chair, Big Cottonwood Community Council Chair, Brighton Resident
- Brian Hutchinson – Salt Lake City Resident
- Carl Fisher – Executive Director, Save Our Canyons
- Carolyn Wawra – Executive Director, Recycle Utah
- Dave Fields – President and GM, Snowbird Ski Resort
- Del Draper – President, Cecret Lake Cabin Owners Association
- Don Despain – General Manager, Big Cottonwood Canyon Improvement District
- Ed Marshall – Log Haven Restaurant
- Jan Striefel – Stakeholders Council Vice-Chair; League of Women Voter of Salt Lake
- John Knoblock – Mt Olympus Community Council Member, Chair, Trails Utah
- Kirk Nichols – President, USFS Evergreen HOA, Professor of Outdoor Recreation, University of Utah
- Kurt Hegmann – Mill D Cabin Owners Association
- Megan Nelson – External Affairs Associate, The Nature Conservancy
- Mike Maughan – President and GM, Alta Ski Area
- Michael Marker – Little Cottonwood Canyon Resident
- Michael Braun – Granite Resident
- Nate Furman – Salt Lake Climbers Alliance
- Nathan Rafferty – President & CEO, Ski Utah
- Pat Shea, Friends of Alta
- Paul Diegel – Salt Lake City Resident
- Randy Doyle – General Manager, Brighton Ski Resort
- Sarah Bennett – Executive Director, Trails Utah
- Steve Issowits- Director of Resort Planning, Solitude Mountain Resort and Deer Valley
- Tom Diegel – Board Member, Wasatch Backcountry Alliance
- Troy Morgan – Brighton Resident
- Wayne Crawford – President, Cardiff Canyon Owners Association
- Will McCarvill – Chair of Stakeholders Council, Salt Lake City Resident
Stakeholders Council Committees
Trails Committee – The goal of this committee is to explore potential ways that the CWC can address trails needs within the CWC project area.
- Chair: John Knoblock
- Vice-Chair: Sarah Bennett
- Stakeholder membership: Barbara Cameron, Will McCarvill
- Staff lead: Lindsey Nielsen
This committee meets publicly on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 2:00 p.m.
Millcreek Canyon Committee – This committee meets to discuss matters pertinent to Millcreek Canyon.
- Chair: Paul Diegel
- Vice-Chair: Del Draper
- Stakeholder membership: Brian Hutchinson, John Knoblock, Ed Marshall, Tom Diegel
- Staff lead: Lindsey Nielsen
Meets publicly on the 3rd Monday of each month at 1:00 p.m.
Visitor Use Committee – Meets as needed to discuss visitor use throughout the CWC project area. Stakeholders Council co-chair, Dr. Kelly Bricker developed a prospectus for a visitor use study in the CWC project area, and that has been the basis of the discussion for this committee.
- Chair: Annalee Munsey
- Vice-Chair: Will McCarvill
- Stakeholder membership: Barbara Cameron, Jan Striefel
- Staff lead: Blake Perez
This committee meets on an as-needed basis.
Preservation Committee – Meets as needed to discuss environmental and watershed protection throughout the CWC project area.
- Chair: Carl Fisher
- Vice-Chair: Megan Nelson
This committee meets publicly the 3rd Thursday of each month at 2:00 p.m.